Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Guinea Pig Me

I've joined the Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus blind study at U.Va.'s Center for Behavioral Medicine Research. Not sure which control group I'll belong to just yet, but I am very much hoping to be in the behavior modification group rather than the group that is dependent on the use of Metformin to regulate insulin for the next six months.

My intent for signing up is to follow whatever instructions I'm given over the study period and I have some apprehension in doing so...mainly because to complete the study successfully, I will have to test my blood sugar several times a day, every day, for the next six months. I want to be a fair and dedicated participant so I will only go ahead with signing on the dotted line (so to speak) if I believe I can endure all those finger pricks. Initially, they're not going to bother me. Over time, if my fingertips become sore or sensitive or, worse, unfeeling, I am bound to get angry.

SO some adjustment is going to be necessary. Lots of patience for the redundancy of logging my blood sugar numbers. The flip side - the best side - is that, with U.Va.'s help, I will learn how my body responds to my eating behavior and how it responds to my lifestyle, too. OR I will learn how it responds to Metformin. Yeah. PLEASE LET ME BE IN THE NON-MEDICATED GROUP!

I've printed my paperwork and will bring it with me to my initial visit, tomorrow morning, where I will sign it if  I believe I can withstand all that blood sugar testing and record-keeping. Right now, the accountability of being on a program that is monitored by the doctor and nurse practitioner at the center could provide enough emotional fuel to keep my engine going at those times when I might run out. It's within reason to believe that small successes I reach along the way will provide all the emotional fuel I need to keep going.

As of Midnight, there is a restriction of eating or drinking anything but water. Tomorrow, I will weigh in, find out my fasting blood sugar number, have lots of diagnostic exams (including a stress test,) and take home my first week's worth of information on how to get started. I'm told it's going to be a three hour process.

Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment