Sunday, June 3, 2012

Why You Should Name This Otter "Wendell"

I. Love. Otters.

That's really all you need to know; however, if you need convincing that "Wendell" is not only the appropriate name for the newest addition to the VA Beach Aquarium, it is the BEST name he could have. Here's why:

My cousin Ann has ten kids. I've been trying to convince her to name her child "Wendy" or "Wendell" since her third was born. No go. Not even as a middle. (Can you believe that?!) But, no matter, I believe I have a very nice name. It reminds people of Peter Pan and...and...and....hamburgers!

Aside from the really poor decision-making on my cousin's part, I've always wanted a namesake. And along comes this opportunity to name the new baby otter...any name in the whole wide world....and folks are piling up to call him BENEDICT.

I'm sure they have their reasons, but stay with me, please. "...the animal was so young when he was found, he became dependent on human care and it was determined he could not be released into the wild."  Look! He has abandonment issues. OMG, me, too!  He is co-dependent. OMG - Me, too! He's super cute! I can be sometimes.... :)

He likes attention. Check!
He's in the media. Check!
He loves to swim. WE HAVE SO MUCH IN COMMON!

I want you to go to this website, scroll to the comments and type in "Wendell" because this baby otter deserves a good name. One that means "great friend" and doesn't rhyme with SCHMENEDICT. And because he has already made a friend of me. And because I love him unconditionally (just because he is an otter!) And because you are my friend and you want me to have my very own Otter (since this is the closest I will likely get to having one ever.)

And you should vote for the name "Wendell" because he will like his name very much.

Vote here: http://youotterknow.com/help-us-name-the-little-guy/

Thank you.

Join my campaign @wendytime on twitter!  And check out this incredible documentary Otter 501 which I am trying to get screened in the city of Charlottesville.