Friday, January 25, 2013

Sh! Don't Tell My In-Laws.

I used to think the key to weight loss & a healthy life was this unidirectional cure-all called "diet & exercise" and God love me for trying to be, but I am no machine. I am amazed at people who are so disciplined the care of their nutritional and physical health is downright robotic. I heave a dreamy sigh at the image of being one of them.

Alas, I'm an obstinate Bostony sort who regularly turns her nose up at discipline. That's not a matter of pride, nor ignorance, I just don't like being told what to do - even by me.

My closest friends know I am difficult to deal with. Invitations to exercise together annoy me instead of seeming fun. I don't know why the walls go up around my behavior when someone else wants to help me work around them or change them...but they do! God forbid somebody suggest a diet or a method or a group of foods to try or what I really ought to stay away from. Nails. On. The. Chalk. Board.

So, I have to get sneaky and creative and clever in order to get anything past my little "Fuck You" fence (or is it defense) mechanism that pops up at suggestions. It keeps me on one side, well-meaning friends and family on the other.

But here's what works: If I impress myself and feel kind of genius because I came up with an idea to help me to adopt a discipline...I will try it. The same is true of when a friend presents something in a fun or interesting or cool way.

I could analyze "Why am I so picky!?" but it would cost me precious time when I could be finding solutions since I know what makes me tick. So, let's forget trying to know why I'm picky or defensive or surly toward suggestions and dig into the neat find of: If I'm jazzed about it, I'll give it a shot.

Like, right now? I am totally using my in-laws. They don't probably know it but they are contributors to my plan for a healthy lifestyle because I started making it a disciplined "thing" that we get together every Sunday (with flexibility for other engagements when necessary) and take turns making from-scratch meals.

So, they'll come to my house and eat zucchini noodles with Bolognese and sauteed spinach with garlic and pine nuts one week. The next we'll visit them for squash soup and salad greens. And they'll come back over for, well, last Sunday it was "Breakfast for dinner" so a big omelet and bacon and sausage and sweet potato hash and roasted asparagus (yes for dinner/breakfast) and so on.

I enjoy cooking for people and sharing meals. My in-laws are unsuspecting guinea pigs in my plan to live well on the weekends. I do really well making wholesome meals for us during the week but weekends can be hard. I get up super friggin' early to prep for our morning show then come home and need a nap before I can function the rest of the day...and wanting to cook can come with a huge BLAH feeling. Plus, I get a lot more comfortable with pushing phone buttons to hear "Golden China...may I help you?" when I'm exhausted.

So knowing I'll have them over gives me a burst of needed motivation to make something fun or new or well-liked in our home to share with them. Or knowing I get to go over there, not worry about what's in the food or how fat it's going to keep me because they are VERY well-disciplined health nuts makes me feel comforted. I don't need Golden China.

Plus, we started playing board games and/or watching movies afterward, just hanging out. I grew up with grandparents who I saw every weekend, did yard work with, had dinner with, played games and watched TV with or made crafts with - I spent all of Sunday with them and I do believe I've missed having that strong sense of family in my life (I live so far from my people!) Plus, this is something I get to give to my own kid: grandparent time.

Do you see how this idea just keeps getting more awesome?

I get to feel smart and make healthier choices and sort of benefit in all kinds of ways! Everybody does. That's the coolest thing.