Saturday, February 11, 2012

The Nicest Things

They say these come to those who wait, but I'm here to tell you waiting has had nothing to do with the niceness that has come to me since starting this blog. To say I'm touched by the connections I am making is an understatement.

Today, a friend let me know he reads this thing and has been inspired to keep working hard for his own health and safety. I think that's such a sacred thing to tell me and to share with me. I'm over the moon. :) Thank you, JD!

JD also told me of an app he's using to food log and track weight loss. I've tried FitDay and a few other apps - I've even maintained a Weight Watchers online membership just to use the points logging feature - and failed miserably because I'll track well for a while then procrastinate until I forget to bother.

I've even dragged my friend Kelly into using a tracker online with me and we both waffled, although she stayed pretty true to using it better than I did.

Anyway, I asked JD if he'd like to be my friend on this new-to-me app called Lose It! I kind of think that it's a good idea because I'm a bit better about doing things I've got to have accountability for. I CAN waffle and fade out of doing things like that, though, so I have to approach using the app with a sense of realism....STILL....I've hit that reset button with the low carb lifestyle, I'm in touch with a group of other people doing the same thing via my nutritionist, Ivana, and I believe that I would treat JD differently than I would Kelly. Let me tell you why.

Kelly and I are close. JD and I are friendly and I would say mutually courteous and compassionate, and close enough to be encouraging. We are not close enough to forgive each other/ignore that something is missing if one of us is not showing up to food log or if communication about the weight loss stops. We're not close enough to use each other as an excuse to fudge a little. With Kelly, I have a buddy, but I also have a partner in crime. I have that in my husband, too. If one of us goes astray on the meal plan, the other does, too. (Kelly's a bit better at not doing that than Rob and I are!)

I don't have that too-close comfort in my friendship with JD - and I don't think I'd like to. So, yeah, I've asked him if he'd like to be friends via the app and basically just kind of be there for each other to add weight to each of us having accountability - instead of adding weight to ourselves.

I think it's worth a shot. I have learned that it helps if I pay attention to my handicaps. Sorry, Kelly! I'm sure I will still drag Kel into my next food logging attempt even if JD says yes. Then we can all benefit.

And I've made a starter goal in order to be on the right track with my low carb lifestyle again: eat low carb breakfasts, which includes at least one serving o' veggies every time.

And away we go.

2 comments:

  1. I have heard of a few different smoking cessation apps. I need that kind of encouragement, I think.

    There are some supportive souls out there, for sure.

    When I finally found a good focus and started being painfully honest and clear, people really respond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Painfully honest hasn't ever been hard for me to be. I'm glad that seems to be working for you. I can't be otherwise...it's just not in my make-up. I quit smoking about 12 years ago which seems so far away now. It's pretty tough to do! Are you going to try an app?

    ReplyDelete