Wednesday, February 17, 2016

How Much Water Can a Body Made of 65% Water Take?

I admit to being kind of a dummy, most of the time, so it doesn't bother me when I don't understand something. I am comfortable with asking questions - even when they reveal how troublesome it can be for me to comprehend basic information - especially when it comes to math. Math equations of any kind are my greatest weakness.

So when I left the hospital with the order to "drink 48 ounces of fluid and" have things like sugar-free jell-o, chicken or beef broth, my protein shakes, G2 (the lower carb Gatorade option), sugar-free popsicles..."but make sure you get that 48 ounces of fluid a DAY or else you'll dehydrate." I came home thinking, "48 ounces. Got it. Other people have done this successfully - I can, too."

It takes me a few minutes between sips of whatever I'm tasting just to let the liquid settle in my newly-reduced stomach, but 48...piece of ....not...cake. I assumed that by fluid and all the options pooled on my menu, the word "fluid" could only translate to "water." What else could it be? Everything else was outlined as an and - as an addition.

In the few days of being home, I hadn't been able to drink 48 ounces of water. I filled my 24 ounce bottle up and did the best I could, and I had little sugar-free jell-o shots... little one ounce servings of chicken or beef broth...little one ounce servings of protein shakes...the occasional sugar-free popsicle, and water, water, water, water, water.

And I wondered how the hell I was going to get nutrition just drinking (mostly) water for days on end. Didn't I need the nutrients from like the broth and the protein shakes especially?

I looked online for the answer. Websites all say the same thing...48 ounces of fluid....and then they give you a list of things you can have in addition to water.  I admit to having more of those and less of the water, as of yesterday, after finally confirming with one of my nurses.

Me: "I think I'm getting enough fluid (water). I know I'm supposed to have 48 ounces and it's not been easy with the jell-o and the broth and protein shakes and other stuff. I get full and water gets really boring. How am I supposed to drink 48 ounces of water and have other things too?"

Then she explained that I can have anything in the list as long as I get 48 ounces of any of those fluids in by the end of the day - to stave off dehydration. Water is a priority, of course, but protein is too. I was hoping she'd say that!

Now I'm sharing this because the world is full of dummies like me who may take an assignment quite literally and not know the difference between additions and options, based on how the information is presented.

So now I'm having a much easier time of sipping my G2 and worrying less about my "fluid" intake and more about getting sponsors for my radio show. I can't just take time off, you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment