Wednesday, October 26, 2011

AccountableMe

I'm making all sorts of decisions to secure a nicer day-to-day lifestyle for me and my family and part of that includes being more and more accountable to myself about diet and exercise.

I thought by letting go of two jobs I would be giving myself more time to get stuff done that I care about, like taking care of me, but guess what? Every ounce of that time I tried to give myself suddenly became filled with a bunch of other things. I'm not crying "victim" because I brought this on myself and I'm learning how to do things differently...so no harshness, just observation.

But, okay, I was with Ivana 2 weeks ago and we're due to meet again on Tuesday next. While with her, I made two important goals:

1) let go of my paper writing job
2) make breakfast at home and take it along (instead of getting drive thru junk).

The first was THE hardest thing I've had to do in a very long time, but I did it. And I've done what I can to make bringing breakfast from home an easier thing to do every day, too... like making an egg bake ahead of time and scrambling sausage with veggies and storing it in the fridge. i plan on making a "mash" from a recipe that calls for butternut squash and pumpkin, and i'm gonna steam asparagus, wrap individual wands in prosciutto and use those for snacks or an occasional breakfast. so, there you have 'em: plans.

I've decided small steps are best because I keep taking on too much at once and then I stall or give out or something happens to disrupt my routine and I lose momentum. I lose that "discipline" feeling that I see and admire of my father-in-law's daily do list. So, here's to change that I can manage well. Thanks, Ivana. :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're working toward making your daily life what you want it to be.

    Breakfast on the go is always so challenging, isn't it? When I last worked in an office, my go-to breakfast was either homemade granola, fresh fruit, and Greek yogurt (assembled at my desk) or loaded oatmeal (oatmeal made with milk, plus nuts and seeds and fruit added). I'd make the oatmeal at home, put it in an insulated thermos, and then eaten still warm at my desk. These days, when I make oatmeal for breakfast -- which is most days -- I add pumpkin or applesauce to it, plus nuts and seeds, a dash of cinnamon and other spices. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think it's great that you can be so prepared, jen. i hope to get to that point to where i make the time to take care of me like that. so far, so good. i did everything i said i was going to regarding breakfast foods and the fridge is ready for this week. it feels pretty good! i love and miss oatmeal AND granola...not on the plan unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete