Monday, August 1, 2011

Here We Go Again

I have a confession to make: I suck at taking pills. Years ago, I received the diagnosis of hypothyroidism from awesome Dr. Hong when he had a practice with his partner in Charlottesville. He was my PCP at that time and was probably the most thorough physician I'd ever known. I'm not a good patient, though. As much as it should become a habit, I lost the want to take thyroid pills (I just felt so stereotypical i.e. fat chick with low metabolism/thyroid trouble) and would only wish to resort to taking them when my energy felt drastically low.

But, I couldn't just take the pills even if I was unbearably tired because there is a warning about stopping and starting this particular prescription - it is something you have to gradually increase in volume or ween from once you've had blood work properly analyzed and are on a closely-watched regimen. I got tired of the maintenance because I was so used to feeling a lack of physical (and sometimes mental) energy.

For someone with the problem, I've managed to get along pretty well aside from my not losing any weight. I found ways to fit in naps, ways to work around spending too much energy at any one time, and how to schedule my day around my drowsiest hours so that I can have them and still function "normally." I have handled my diagnosis in a very mind-over-matter way. Sometimes I even convince myself that I'm doing great.

That can't be true, though. How can I be doing so great, but still be this size? I'm not really doing great. What I'm doing is coping.  I am doing a great job of coping. What I really want is to be doing great. Get me?

Like it or not, the pills help me when I take them so I'm eyeing the possibility of taking Synthroid again. To do so would mean: A visit to a new physician. Regular blood drawing. Tiresome history reports & other paperwork. Kicking my own ass to take the pills consistently. It looks and feels like a lot of work just to take one stupid daily pill; however, I have to ask myself 'how much work am I doing just to cope with the problem?'

Having slow metabolism prevents me from losing weight at the rate and pace that normal people can. Having slow metabolism messes with the process of my girl parts. Having slow metabolism breaks my day up into segments of can or can't. Having slow metabolism  makes digestion even harder. Having slow metabolism turns out to be a much bigger chore than taking Synthroid and, if the preceding statements weren't enough, that seems to be what motivates me.

I called a family physician and I can get in to see her on Tuesday.

EDIT: I had an interesting conversation with a nutrition coach this afternoon and I am going to put the idea of getting a Synthroid prescription on hold for now. First, blood work to get all my levels of everything, then some dietary changes, then some blood work to get all my levels of everything, then see if the hormone replacement is still necessary. Coming up: My consultation with Ivana Kadija and the start of a new venture (and friendship, I think!)

No comments:

Post a Comment