Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Whiney Gym Day

I didn't want to go to the gym today, but I'm glad I went. It's been two weeks since my last visit because I've let a heap of moping take precedence over fulfilling my exercise obligations. I could wah-wah-wah to you for a while and tick off a list reasons for neglecting to go, but let's not. I'm a smart woman. If there is a reason to not go, I can find it and cling to it like a bug on a blade of grass in a windstorm.

I went. And in the weeks I've missed I've lost some momentum and strength so I had to start ....well, not at the beginning. I am still in far better shape than I was when I first walked into the fitness center and asked Barb for help. So, today I began with a setback, but it wasn't awful.

Previously, I'd worked up to walking a mile and a quarter. Today, I walked three quarters of a mile. If I can walk a mile by Sunday I can be back on track  I'm not so certain I will make the Women's 4-Miler; however, I agreed to train as if it's still going to happen.

"The worst that can happen is that you can walk two miles," Barb said. She's right. I can't let the overwhelming goal of four miles stop me from getting to two. Imagine if I could walk two miles, three times a week? Today showed me that I have the right stuff...it just is going to take time. I have to remember when I couldn't even walk one mile any day of the week and see what I'm doing now as a pretty good accomplishment.

I stayed at a pretty slow pace (slower than I actually wanted to walk) but was able to keep annoying knee pain between 3-4 on a scale of 10 for the entire time. Good news, that.

4 comments:

  1. It's good you've set goals, but naturally goals get adjusted. It's good you have a trainer to help you figure this stuff out. Maybe a little bit of pain is a reminder of your motivation. Two miles times three is six miles a week, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crosby, I like how you think. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you can do it!!! Keep the faith, girl! I have faith in you. Your friends and family and trainer are great places to find that strength you need to get to the gym, walk that extra 1/4 mile at a time...

    I never thought I could right my bike 15-20 miles at a crack, either...David drags my sorry touchie out on weekends; and, you know what? I do it and he pushes me to do it. And, I feel so good after. He cheers me on...tells me that he can tell I've gotten stronger and my will to ride up those stupid hills gets stronger. I hate it but I do it for me, for my husband and the life I want to spend with him, my children and my future grandchildren.

    I walked at lunch today...it felt so good...the humidity was low so it felt good to be outside. I topped off my walk with a spinach salad. Now that it's not 90 degrees at 7 am, I'm hopping back on that bike to and from work, too.

    Remember the "Little Engine that Could"? We're the Little Engine...I think I can; I think I can. I think I can. I knew I could. I knew I could. We can accomplish anything we put our minds to. And, you are a strong, amazing woman. You can do it! You go Wendy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tracy, I wonder if you wouldn't keep a blog of your own progress. You continue to inspire me with all of your own changes! In fact, I've been a fan of yours ever since you told me you played hockey. Coolest thing ever. Thank you for your positive can-do testimony, it helps to read (and I'll probably re-read it whenever I need to!) xo.

    ReplyDelete